Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My First Post, My First Books

Since this is my first post, I have decided to post about my intense interest in books and my favorite first books (a.k.a. childhood books, though I am still only 13). At first, I just thought that reading was something pointless that you did in school to get a good grade. It didn't help, either, that my parents didn't care exceptionally about books. I truly realized how much I loved books at the age of 9; when I finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in order to get into a Language Arts sponsored field trip to Kemah Boardwalk (very famous here in Texas). Long story; maybe I'll tell you later. ;)

My favorite book at age 1-5 was hands down The Book of Children. It contained all my favorite nursery rhymes, including Bah-Bah Black Sheep and Jack and Jill. I would force my mom or dad to read it to me! I liked to laugh at the sound-alike words. Odd, but true. :D

At 6-8 I enjoyed simple books like the Arthur series and later on, the hilarious Junie B. Jones series. However, even now, I was not a particularly avid reader.

At 9, I truly "discovered" books, as you may call it. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was a requirement to get into this field trip. At first, I could not get past the first 40 pages; I must remind you, reading was not my favorite thing then. J.K. Rowling made Harry Potter for slightly older teenage readers. I did not know half the vocabulary and was confused by the British-popular phrases "dung," "rubbish," and [now my personal favorite one], "bloody hell!" I "quit" reading it many times before actually finishing it.

When I finally did get through it, however, it instantly became my favorite book. Though the first 40 or so pages were rather boring for a 9-year old reader like me, by the 100th page I was hooked. Not only did it teach me the proper usage of dialogue quotes, semicolons and expanded my vocabulary by a mile, (yes, very helpful in writing! I was the best writer in my class a few months after reading this book. But that's another story.) it also entertained me in a way I never experienced before; all the fun, thrill and mystery of an adventure without the risk and danger. It was...addicting.

By 10, I had finished the entire Harry Potter series faster then I had finished most picture books. The 2nd was finished in 2 weeks, the 3rd in 1 week and the 4th in 1 week. I usually stayed up a couple of hours at night to finish it.

My reading experience had truly changed and just begun.

2 comments:

Reem said...

u should let anonymous (people who don't have a blog) give you comment if u do want it ask me how to do it

Reem said...

anyways Abdullah and Umair and Sarah came on youtube if u wannna see it ask me

send me every reply on reemshaikh@aim.com please